Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Why listen to one when you can have all three?

Beep!

Clank

Swoosh.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

Ding Dong...

Sounds fill our ears just as air fills our lungs. Our ears, the ultimate explorers, seem to reach out and grab even the slightest vibration.

You can't escape sound.

Even silence creates an adventure for our ears to go hunting vibrations.

We need to experience as many sounds as possible. Music, crowds cheering, the ocean, the wind, a buzzer, the piano, the guitar, sneakers on a gym floor... all make me glad my ears like to explore and help me understand the world around me.

I thought I was pretty well versed in the greater sounds of the world. How was I to know I was really missing out? You see, I had yet to experience the sound of being inside a blender.

I know! Can you believe it?

Good thing we moved to Hawaii so I could finally find out.

For the past three hours, my ears were delighted by the glorious pounding of a jackhammer, combined with the ripping of a chainsaw, and the screams of fire engines and ambulance sirens.

The jackhammer and chainsaw ran together most of the time, with the just occasional taste of a siren. How nice they could finally find a 10 minute period where they all sprang to life at once. The whirlwind of pounding and ripping and screaming filled my ear canals with vibration after vibration after vibration. It felt like I had put in earplugs of noise.

It was lovely.

And now they are back from lunch to start again.


4 comments:

Brett said...

"HEIDI! WHAT'S YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER?"
TATATATATATATATATATATATATATA
"SIX-FOUR-THREE..."
BZZZZZZZZZZZTATATATATAZZZZZZZZZ
"FOUR-THREE!!!????"
TATATATATATATAWEEEEEOOOOOWEEEEEEEOOOOO
"SIX!!! FOUR!!! THREE!!!"
TATATATATATATATATATATATATATA
"WHAT!!!?????"

Brittney said...

hahahahhahahahaha love Brett's comment.

But before I read that comment, I was going to say... you are such a great creative writer, Heidi! I wish I had that talent.. but alas, I am much more suited to detailed, informative business writing--you know, the boring stuff.

missliss5/Melissa said...

I enjoy your writing, too....and your comment was hilarious!

Patti said...

Nice creative job of writing about your misery! Love your blog!