Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Buying in Bulk

Brett and I shop at Costco. We heard, and found out all to quickly, that buying in bulk is the only way to survive the shark infested prices of the local grocery stores.

I was amazed at the size of containers at Costco. When we bought an 8 pound bag of Oatmeal I thought, "It will take me 6 months to eat this!"

Well...

We (meaning mostly Heidi) ate it in a month and a half.

Before you think I am a glutton, please realize we eat cheap. VERY cheap. Not out of choice, (I miss my fresh fruits and veggies) but out of necessity. Most of our meals consist of rice. I eat oatmeal every morning for breakfast, and more than occasionally, but less than frequently eat it for dinner as well. We are learning to get creative with rice and tuna and spinach concoctions (see Brett's facebook burn story) and Brett makes a mean PB and J. :) We do buy frozen veggies, but don't use them often. Milk is a cereal food not a beverage and yogurt in a smoothie is a treat!

Getting back on track...

I was just astounded when I realized that THAT MUCH FOOD (eating the one serving measurement) had gone through my body for a monthly average of 1.4 meals a day!

I guess it is kind of a wake up call to see how much we put into our bodies. It also makes me appreciate the energy it gives me and motivates me to USE the energy I put in.

4 comments:

Brittney said...

I love oatmeal too... I was eating it every day for a long time. And then, I was suddenly SICK of it. I think I've taken about a month or two off now, and I'm starting to get my appetite back for it!! YAY!

Way to go eating cheap. It's nice that frozen veggies and fruits are affordable and yet are usually more healthful than "fresh." If you ever have any great healthful recipes, send them my way, and I'll do the same for you!

Brett said...

Oatmeal + a tiny bit of water + chocolate snak pak = a bowl of no-bake-cookie-like goodness. At least that's what my taste buds tell me.

Shark infested prices! My wife is so creative!

Patti said...

We are SO taking you out to eat when we come to visit....and maybe a trip to Costco...but until then, high fives from us for thrift-i-ness!

missliss5/Melissa said...

High five to you for doing the budgeting. Never fun, but always good for the pocket book. Love you guys!